Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Value of Spending Time at the Courthouse

I confess to being a courthouse junkie. I love the energy of the courthouse. I love the formality and ritual of trials. I love the opportunity to network with other lawyers, and to observe them in action. For me a big part of being a lawyer is being at court.

Lee Rosen shares my thinking. At his Divorce Discourse blog he makes a case for getting to the courthouse. Here are his top ten reasons for getting to court early.

1. You can talk to other family law attorneys, build your relationships, and generate referrals of conflicts, mediations, etc....

2. You can hang out with the judges in chambers...

3. You can get to know the clerks and bailiffs...

4. You can get comfortable with the setting...

5. You can talk to your clients and help them get comfortable...

6. You can meet other lawyers from other practice areas...

7. You can answer questions for people in the hall...

8. You can review your notes and think about your case...

9. You can avoid being smushed in the elevator with smelly criminal defendants...

10. You can ask questions of other lawyers, listen to their conversations, and learn a thing or two...

Lee elaborates on each of these points in his article. Please click here to read the original piece.

Please visit hardinglaw.com for more information of Harding & Associates Family Law

No comments:

Solo nets Supreme Court win!

I know this has nothing to do with technology, but I think it is pretty cool. Andrew Simpson is a sole practitioner in the U.S. Virgin Is...