Saturday, July 29, 2017

The Joys of a Home Office

Da Bear.
Therapist, Centurion,
Expert Witness on the issue of napping,
Counter Surfer
First off, I am a firm believer in the traditional brick and mortar law office. For me it is important to have a place dedicated to work and my law practice. I can control the environment. I make it louder or quieter. It is secure, and private. It gets me closer to my co-workers. Also, I firmly believe family law clients expect an office (rather than a coffee shop or a public library). I believe a physical office is an important component of a lawyer's credibility and reputation. Other lawyers will argue contra, but for me a professional office is a must.

That having been side, I also have a wonderful home office that I use a lot. Being able to get away from my traditional office can be a real refresher. There is also a sense of comfort and satisfaction in being able to work from home in sweats and a t-shirt -- while still being able to be productive. Having the dogs running around can also be very therapeutic.




So, how do I make it work?

Below is a picture of my home office. I think it is pretty nice.



Big secret: I am writing this post from that very desk.  Could have just as easily been my law office desk. Who could have known?

What's really nice about my home office?
  • That wall of bookshelves in the back is what makes it. Plenty of storage to keep the space clutter-free. Also pleasing on the eye.
  • I have a Google Home device on the shelves to the right (a thank you gift for serving as President of the Northern California Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers) so I can listen to music, check the weather, check traffic, etc.).
    • Jazz makes life so much better!
  • The windows let in light and fresh air.
    • Take a deep breatttthhhhhh....

What's functional about my home office?
  • The desk provides a large work surface.
    • I love the wood. My wife hates it because I bought it a Cost Plus.
  • There is a full-size, all-in-one, wireless printer/scanner/copier on the shelves to the left.
    • Can't tell you how many times I have had to print something before leaving for court.
      • Make sure you have plenty of extra paper and toner. That stuff tends to run out at the worst times.
  • I have a Mac (with its Giant screen) installed on an Ergotron adjustable platform. With it I can have a stand-up computer when I want it, or I can drop it down to desk level.
  • Google Wi-Fi allows for connectivity of everything
    • So nice not having a web of tangled wires laying around


Then there is the technology that really brings it all together.
  • Telephone.
    • At my brick and mortar office we have a VOIP telephone system from 8x8. 8x8 also has a virtual office app for smartphones, and virtual office software you can install on your c computer. I have it installed on my iPhone, my Mac, my Mac Book Pro. With the app I can forward office calls to my iPhone and computers. I can retrieve office voice mails from my other devices. The iPhone connects to the wi-fi network so that spotty cell coverage is a non-issue when making and receiving calls. No one on the other end of a phone call could ever guess I was not in the office.
      • Our 8x8 service also includes faxing, although faxes have pretty much gone the way of the Do-Do bird.
  • Mac Book Pro. Goes with me everywhere. Sitting on the desk at home it gives me a valuable second computer and monitor. Also gives me a change of scenery if I want to move away from the Mac.
    • Actually typing this blog post on it.
  • If I want a third computer or a third monitor, out comes the iPad Pro with keyboard.
  • Legal pad. Yep, there it is on the desk next to my laptop. 
    • Still gotta be able to jot things down...
  • The Cloud. Our law firm is almost entirely Cloud based. As such, I can work anywhere I have internet. Our Cloud system includes:
    • Office 365 for so, so, so much:
      • Multiple-platforms means full functionality on desktop computers, laptop computers, iPads, iPhones . . . . Anywhere, and on any device I've got:
        • Word
        • Excel
        • Outlook
          • A huge advantage being able to send, retrieve, and index emails from anywhere
        • Sharepoint. An online repository for all client files.
          • Like taking the office file cabinets with me wherever I go. Again, a huge advantage.
    • Rocket Matter
      • Simply the best practice management system out there! On every device I have all my contacts, cases, calendars, billing, documents and records. The list goes on and on....
    • Skype for direct, real-time communication with office colleagues. 
      • It's the modern intercom with video.
      • And, it is included with our Office 365 subscription.
    • LogMeIn. Occasionally I will need to get on my desktop PC at my law office. LogMeIn let's that happen.
Virtual lawyering, home lawyering, remote lawyering, satellite lawyering, smart lawyering . . .  Call it what you want, a home office can be a real treat! With a couple of exceptions, it can be a duplicate of your regular office, Mine is pretty fancy. It can just as easily be a folding chair and table and a laptop in the corner of an apartment (or even less). Change is good. A home office is a great change of pace for me.

Please visit hardinglaw.com for more information about Harding & Associates Family Law #Harding&AssociatesFamilyLaw #californiafamilylaw #divorce #family law #superlawyers #americanacademyofmatrimoniallawyers #Pleasantondivorce #AlamedaCountyDivorce #ContraCostaCountyDivorce #lawyers

No comments:

Solo nets Supreme Court win!

I know this has nothing to do with technology, but I think it is pretty cool. Andrew Simpson is a sole practitioner in the U.S. Virgin Is...