Thursday, April 15, 2010

Have A Celebrity Visit Your Blog!

We write blogs so that people will read them. Many of us also write blogs to promote our businesses. Let's be honest about that. I publish two blogs. This Family Law Lawyer Tech & Practice blog, and another called the California Divorce Blawg. My California Divorce Blawg provides information about California family law. It generates some healthy viewer numbers, and does steer visitors to my law firm's website. I am always looking for ways to boost viewership of my blogs. I have identified a viable tool, that is also proof of the fact that people are enamored with celebrity. Occasionally I will mention a celebrity divorce on the California Divorce Blawg, including putting the full name of the celebrity in the title for the post. When I do put up one of these celebrity posts the number of hits the blog gets go up significantly. I am talking 5x, 10x, 20x increase over an average day. That is a huge jump.

Some have commented that my celebrity posts are out of character given the blog's focus on substantive law. While I respect the criticism, I disagree with it. The real focus of the blog is to attract viewers. If no one is reading what I am writing, why am I doing it? If I have to do a bit of celebrity name dropping every now and then to pull viewers to my blog, I am okay with that. And, I am honest enough to admit that I expect a marketing return from my blogging efforts. That what those readers of my blog are, marketing targets. I want them, I need them, I love them.

What I am trying to says is don't be afraid to be creative when blogging and marketing your practice. Also, don't be afraid to admit that you do market your practice. There is too much false altruism out there. I don't publish my blogs exclusively for the purpose of educating the public. I also blog to market my practice, and there is nothing wrong with that.

No comments:

Solo nets Supreme Court win!

I know this has nothing to do with technology, but I think it is pretty cool. Andrew Simpson is a sole practitioner in the U.S. Virgin Is...