Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tablet PC's

A Tablet PC is a notebook or slate-shaped mobile computer, equipped with a touchscreen or graphics tablet/screen hybrid technology which allows the user to operate the computer with a stylus or digital pen, or a fingertip, instead of a keyboard or mouse.

The form factor offers a more mobile way to interact with a computer. Tablet PCs are often used where normal notebooks are impractical or unwieldy, or do not provide the needed functionality.

The term "Tablet PC" was coined by Microsoft in a Keynote Address by Bill Gates at the 2001 Comdex conference. The more general term is Pen computer or Pen computing. Tablet PC, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tablet_PC&oldid=238063852 (last visited Sep. 17, 2008).

I am on my second tablet pc. I love the concept. Portability. Being able to take notes electronically. Using a touch screen to navigate rather than a mouse. All great stuff. Plus a very high "wow" factor. What I am learning though, is that manufacturers make a difference. My first tablet was made by Motion Computing. Nothing but problems. Big delivery delay. Terrible customer support. A slow running machine that came at a very high price! Will never buy another motion.

Recently I took delivery on my second tablet. This beauty is a Fujitsu Lifebook T5010. Awesome. Runs fast, looks great. My motion tablet is a pure tablet. In other words if you want to use a mechanical keyboard, you have to attach it as an external device. The cd-rom, another external device. The Fujitsu is a "convertible." It looks like a notebook computer, but the screen hinges and swivels so that it morphes into a tablet.

With time, prices are coming down. The Fujitsu didn't even cost me half as much as the Motion.

All keep posting as I get to know Fuji.

Please be sure to visit www.hardinglaw.com, the website for the law firm of Harding & Associates, for more information on California family law.

No comments:

Solo nets Supreme Court win!

I know this has nothing to do with technology, but I think it is pretty cool. Andrew Simpson is a sole practitioner in the U.S. Virgin Is...