Monday, September 22, 2008

More on the Tablet

Two days of off and on work, and I have the new Fujitsu T5010 tablet computer just about ready to go. I am going with the OpenOffice suite of software rather than Microsoft Office. The big reason is because OpenOffice is free! It is also just about fully compatible with MO. I don't plan on doing any heavy word processing or number crunching. For the most part I will be doing on the fly modifications to Word or Excel documents, and for that OpenOffice is more than suitable.

In my office we pursue the idea of the paperless office. More on that in another post. Every piece of paper in or out is converted to an electronic .pdf file. That, in turn, is a big reason for the tablet. Whenever I go to court, a deposition, a client meeting out of the office, I copy all of the documents for the matter onto the tablet. Instead of wheeling boxes of files to and fro, everything is just a click away. I have always loved Adobe Acrobat Professional, and it is still the default product in our office for creating and viewing pdf files. With the new tablet though I am trying a new piece of pdf software. It is called Bluebeam PDF Revu. The cool thing about this software is that it is written for tablet computers. Not only does it create pdfs, and allow you to view pdf files, it also lets you mark them up. Use your tablet pen to highlight here, circle there, write a note, draw an arrow. Really cool stuff that you cannot do in Acrobat (or at least I don't know how to do easily in Acrobat). And at $149 it is much more affordable than Acrobat Pro.

I let you know how things go.


Please be sure to visit www.hardinglaw.com, the website for the law firm of Harding & Associates, for more information on California family law.

No comments:

Solo nets Supreme Court win!

I know this has nothing to do with technology, but I think it is pretty cool. Andrew Simpson is a sole practitioner in the U.S. Virgin Is...