Thursday, April 2, 2015

Legal Fees Could Always Be More Expensive

I am just back from Seville, Spain where I had the privilege of speaking to the European Chapter of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. I love these international meetings because I get to meet so many fascinating people, and learn so much about family law as it is practiced around the world.

I don't think anyone would argue that legal fees are not expensive. However, for US legal consumers it could be worse.  One new bit of law practice knowledge that I took away from my trip to Spain is the concept of value added tax (VAT). Akin to what we would call sales tax in the US, it is a component of legal service pricing throughout Europe, and it is not cheap. The default rate is 20%, although it can range as low as 5% and as high as 28%.

You think consumers have something to complain about now.  Just be thankful we don't have the VAT to deal with!

Please visit hardinglaw.com for more information about Harding & Associates Family Law.  

#IAML #VAT #valueaddedtax #legalfees #Harding&AssociatesFamilyLaw #californiafamilylaw #divorce #family law #superlawyers #americanacademyofmatrimoniallawyers #Pleasantondivorce #AlamedaCountyDivorce #ContraCostaCountyDivorce #lawyers

No comments:

Solo nets Supreme Court win!

I know this has nothing to do with technology, but I think it is pretty cool. Andrew Simpson is a sole practitioner in the U.S. Virgin Is...